Coates Hearing Clinic, P.A.
Doctor of Audiology and Hearing Aids in Smithfield, NC
Rediscover the beauty of sound!
Coates Hearing Clinic, P.A. provides high-quality, patient-centered hearing healthcare in Johnston County and surrounding areas.
We are a family-owned, independent audiology clinic, owned by local Smithfield residents, Dr. Kathleen Coates and her husband Jordan.
Coates Community News
Better Hearing for the Holidays
Whether you have hearing loss or not, following conversation in group settings with a lot of background noise can be challenging, especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Here are some strategies that you and your loved ones can use!
1. Attention: Gain attention of the person you are trying to speak with first.
2. Facial Cues: Make sure you are facing the person. Facial expression, lip-reading and body language can add vital information to the conversation. Make sure you keep your hands away from your face as well. It also helps to not talk with food in your mouth!
3. Speak Clearly: It is better to speak distinctly without exaggerating because shouting can distort words. Speak at a normal rate, not too slow.
4. Rephrase: If someone does not understand what you said the first time, try stating the phrase or question differently.
5. Background Noise: When conversing, try moving to a quieter area. When going to a restaurant, ask for a table away from the kitchen or large parties and try to sit with most of the background noise BEHIND you. For example, try to sit at a booth in the corner, rather than a table in the middle of the dining room.
Hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and balance issues are medical conditions that should be treated by a medical provider. Dr. Coates has the experience and knowledge to properly diagnose and treat patients with a wide range of hearing issues. Every patient has a unique history and story. Our clinic was carefully designed to provide a comfortable environment for our patients. The clinic is also equipped with the latest in audiology technology so that our patients can have access to the highest level of care available today.